Warning: This woman is an INTJ with better-than-it-used-to-be emotional intelligence. Wit, sarcasm, sincerity, condescension, empathy, dumb jokes, useless facts, wide-sweeping generalizations and stereotypes may be found in this blog. Proceed with caution.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

TGMI! (TN Govt Management Institute)

A few weeks ago our IT director sent an email to myself and another colleague to let us know that she and our supervisors had nominated us for participation in a class called TGMI (Tennessee Government Management Institute).  In their own words:

"Begun in 2000, the Tennessee Government Management Institute (TGMI) is the catalyst by which Tennessee and its managers are transformed into the best this nation has to offer. The Leaders of the State, the Department of Human Resources, and the University of Tennessee have formed an alliance that provides Tennessee managers with an environment of academic freedom, and commitment to excellence, in which to grow beyond all of their actual and perceived boundaries."

Departments across the state can nominate and submit potential attendees to the central HR office where the final selection is made.  Only 36 applications are chosen from all submissions to participate.  

My colleague and I filled out our applications and a week or so later I received an email that I had been chosen as a class attendee!  Next Tuesday is our Orientation and then, in the first week of May, I will be headed to an off-site training for the first week.  (The second week will be in June)

Leading teams and finding innovative ways to bring about positive change will never get old for me.  There is a challenge in making that happen that appeals to me at a very deep level.  It seems to be the best forum for using my knowledge in group behavior and personality preferences in a practical and positive way.  It is fascinating and rewarding to help others come to work and actually enjoy themselves because they know they are appreciated and that their talents are being used to the fullest. When entire teams operate at that level, amazing change can take place.  

Being accepted into TGMI may provide an even broader understanding of great leadership principles, which is very exciting.  I am honored to become a part of such a terrific program and I hope that I can meet some like-minded people during my training!


No comments:

Post a Comment