Warning: This woman is an INTJ with better-than-it-used-to-be emotional intelligence. Wit, sarcasm, sincerity, condescension, empathy, dumb jokes, useless facts, wide-sweeping generalizations and stereotypes may be found in this blog. Proceed with caution.

Friday, July 15, 2016

With Kanban, yes you Kahn... er, Can

I love Kanban.  There is something almost tranquil about visibly, physically moving something through a process from beginning to end.  I love it even more as I use it to put my home back together.

Earlier this year, near the end of April, we had a water pipe break under the bathroom sink upstairs.  Apparently it broke early in the day, because when the kids arrived home from school they raced around to turn off the water, start sopping things up and called to tell us that it was raining in the kitchen. In my mind, even though the kids described it, I was seeing maybe a little bit of staining on the ceiling that we would have to fix, perhaps some carpet that would have to be dried out with a fan.  I was not prepared for what I saw when I arrived home.

There were only two bedrooms that weren’t massively damaged by the ordeal in the entire house.  The insurance company paid a mitigation team to come in and help dry out the house, which involved cutting out flooring, cutting holes in ceilings, tearing out a whole wall of kitchen cabinets and the entire wall behind my kitchen sink.  Our home was in shambles, from the upstairs bathroom, bonus room, stairway, closets, master bedroom, living room and kitchen.  We were put up in a hotel for a month and zero progress was made because of a ridiculous estimate from an adjuster that made every contractor laugh and then run in the other direction.  We finally decided we would have to do the work ourselves, which may take us many months to complete since we both work full time and the insurance paid precious little for repairs.

Initiate Project Management…

From the moment we decided we had to do the work ourselves, I set out to manage it like a project.  There was surely a scope, budget, resources to allocate… and best of all:  a flexible timeline.  The question was how, exactly.  Microsoft Project is too expensive to own as an individual so I opened up my trusty Excel sheets and started outlining tasks.  For each task I listed sub-tasks as needed and drilled down to materials.  I looked up prices on Lowes.com for each item on my list and viola, a budget appeared for the rooms.  I started to understand why the contractors had run away so hastily.

At that point, I began to wonder if my excel sheet was really practical for actually managing the task flow as we worked.  It was better organized by room… but we may not actually work that way.  Wouldn’t we want to paint all the walls before we put in the new flooring?  I needed flexibility… and Kanban came to the rescue. 

My initial Kanban board was just a piece of paper with teeny, tiny sticky notes on them.  My columns were something like “Waiting”, “Researching”, “Purchasing”, “Ready to Do” and “In Progress”.   Each area has its own color sticky note, so I could easily see every task for a particular room.  Some rooms have not been started at all, and the whole room is on one sticky note in the “Waiting” column… my “project horizon” that will later be segregated into parts.

I have to say that as I move those little sticky notes around and finally onto the BACK of the paper to my “Completed” pile, I actually feel that we were making progress.  It’s motivating.  Sing it with me: Buy Drywall & Mud, Hang Plastic, Hang Drywall, Tape and Mud, Sand, Scrape The Popcorn Ceiling Off, Swear To Never Do Popcorn Ceilings Again, Fix The Ceiling, Hang The Lights, Prime The Ceiling, Prime The Wall, Replace The Cupboards, Reinstall The Countertop, Reinstall The Sink, Install The Dishwasher… “HEY! THERE’S RUNNING WATER IN THE KITCHEN!! OMGTYLICBTTSL!”

We still have some more priming to do in the kitchen, but we reaallly needed water back out there so we opted to prime just the wall where it resided before doing the rest of the room. 

I have no idea how long this is going to take us because there seems to be so little time to make progress… but my little Kanban board is always there, gently reminding me that there are at least 6 other rooms to do once the kitchen is finished.  God help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment